Top 5 Tips for Making a Photo Session with Kids Easier
Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don't make a huge deal out of it. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game.
2. Be prepared. If you're going to be out for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. If you are having your own photos taken too then you might want to bring a babysitter or family member along to watch the kids. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too.
3. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your photographer and will also give your photographer a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with your photographer and your photos will look fantastic.
5. Find your photographer and keep the relationship. You and your family will feel more relaxed when they are photographed by someone they already know. Do your research either online or via friends and find photographers, compare them by reviewing their work and reading what people say about them.